In America today, sports are clearly one of the most prominent aspects of our lives. With games on almost every night from various sports, it is hard not to constantly talk about it. One of the most popular debates in the sports world right now is the BCS College Football System. With another year of BCS selections recently occurring, the debate over its fairness has quickly come back into question. Is it really unfair and is it really comparable to a much bigger issue in our country today?
The BCS system stands for the Bowl Championship Series and and creates five main bowl games for ten of the best teams in the college football nation. The system in based on a series of computer calculations that compute the standings of the teams. However, controversy is always sparked when the final standings come out. It is never exactly clear who should be ranked higher than another team because of how close their records are. Additionally, different teams have very different schedules, which is also taken into account when the final rankings are made. As a result, there are always teams that believe they deserve to be in the spotlight, but are left out when the bowls are announced.
One major flaw in the BCS system though is that each game is always sponsored by a nationally known company. As a result, both the sponsoring company and the teams playing in the game make a ton of money of publicity and ticket sales. So when it comes down to the selections, the sponsor realistically always wants the schools that will attract the most attention and sell the tickets the fastest. This creates a bias against the small universities that do not have as much acclaim as bigger schools. So if the bigger schools keep getting selected to these big games, aren’t the few, big, and rich schools just getting richer while the small, not as wealthy schools get left out? This reminds me of something that almost everyone may know as Occupy Wall Street.
A very popular issue in American society today is the Occupy Wall Street crisis. Hundreds of protestors are crowding the streets of Wall Street almost everyday fighting against the wealthiest 1% of our nation that keeps getting richer. They are protesting the social and economic inequality that the “other 99%” are receiving. Essentially, they are arguing that the wealth gap between the rich and everyone else is constantly growing. This has sparked a tremendous movement across the nation of people protesting this same argument of, “We are the 99%.” Now seeing how they are actually very similar, why are we not protesting the BCS system?
The BCS system is basically doing the same damage that the 1% of our country is doing to the other 99%. The small schools that are constantly being left out of the bowl games are suffering while they can do nothing but sit back and watch the big time schools keep raking in the money. It is truly unfair that this factor is being included in the BCS selection process. It is very biased against those schools that may be just as good as the bigger schools, but are not getting the same opportunity just because of money. Honestly, it’s just sad that even sports are being overtaken by money and ruining the true nature of the game. We should be picking the schools that have proven themselves strictly on the field, not for money or advertising purposes.
There is no doubt in my mind that this system is completely flawed and should be reevaluated if not gotten rid of altogether. As a Michigan fan, I am more than thrilled with how the system works more in our favor than most other schools. But as a non-biased fan, I do believe we should put an end to this wealth-biased selection system. I know the 99% protesting on Wall Street agrees with me.